Thursday, December 26, 2013

Sweet Ideas

I’m very proud of my wife.  A few months ago Ruth had the idea of making a Bake and Crafts Sale for the Christmas season.  The plan was straightforward enough: bake a collection of items, set up and sell at the local supermarket, raise money for Dar El Awlad and increase awareness in the community.  The set-up was easy, but the execution was tricky.  Lots of gifted hands pitched in to bake, spread the word, prepare, and sell.  It was a team effort, but Ruth was the captain.  She was the first to start working and the last to stop.  This was her idea; she pushed it through and, in the end, made it a success.  

Some money was raised and some PR was spread.  DEA will benefit from the bake sale in ways we can measure and ways we cannot.  Maybe it won’t add up to much but it will add up to something.  Even so, I’m proud of Ruth.  It’s not because of what the bake sale earned but simply because it happened.  Everyone has good ideas about what can help the orphanage.  We all think we know the thing that will move things along or improve this or that.  In my experience I find that very rarely do ideas ever materialize.  This time they did.  It was a small endeavor, but sometimes even little ideas are big achievements when they actually happen.  I’m very proud of Ruth for what she does and what she is.  I hope she rubs off on others, especially me.
Bakers busy at work

The little kiosk

Smiling faces and helping hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment