Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A Pinch when Comfortable

We had a very comfortable summer.  During the course of two months we spent quiet times in the country, on the ranch, and at the lake cabin.  There were visits to the big city, fair, museum, gallery and stadium.  We stayed with family and friends, enjoyed recreation, shopping and dining.  It wasn't excessive, and I wouldn't call it overly indulgent.  But it was comfortable, fun, and enjoyable. 
None of that is wrong, but it is risky.  It’s risky because over the course of weeks I was startled by how easy it was for me to forget the situation facing masses in the Middle East.  War is impacting hundreds of millions in Lebanon, and included in the suffering are people that I love and care about greatly.  Yet in the ease of comfort I found myself easily detached from the pain of others.  Maybe you could say the season of rest was necessary or that a break from the stress and struggles was deserved.  I don’t know. 
I read this article back in August and it woke me up a bit, like a pinch of reality.  It still is a timely read.  I’m not physically far away from the troubles now, but that doesn't necessarily make me closer.  The challenge is to continue to engage in the pain, take a step out of comfort, and try to be part of a solution.  

No comments:

Post a Comment