Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The First Day of School is a Day of Accomplishment for Me

Some our boys heading out to Beirut for their first day of the school year.


Usually the last day of school is the day of accomplishment, but for me it’s the first day.  When the boys go off on that first day I know that I managed to get them set-up for the year ahead by registering them in new schools and classes, gathering with right books and equipment, and supplying the uniforms to keep up with their growing teenage bodies.  That may seem like a simple task, but I've actually found it to be quite complicated and taxing.  Most schools don’t provide school books for students (even if they do, you have to buy and sell on the street to get used books at a big discount).  They give you a list and you have to run around town to different book shops and track all the right books and updated editions.  I have yet to find a shop that carries all the books (every school follows different curriculum it seems), but I've learned which places are better stocked than others.  It’s not a straightforward process by any means, but over the years I've come to figure it out.  Still, there’s a relieving feeling of accomplishment when the boys head out on that first day looking ready for the year ahead.  There will be steady streams of needs throughout the year and more trips around town to make sure they have the supplies and equipment they need, but hopefully I managed to get them off on a good first step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment